Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday 20 August 2009

Shalom!

(click image to open a printable, copyright-free jpg)


This is an 8-voice round to be found in the Evangelisch-reformiertes Gesangbuch, the hymnal widely used in the Lutheran Church in Switzerland. The hymnal also gives a German underlay - Der Friede des Herrn geleite euch, schalom, schalom (bis), roughly The peace of the Lord be with you.

I am sure I will be told that I've got the next bit all wrong (probably by a Welsh Jacobite...), but the Hebrew text seems to translate, minimalistically, as "Greetings, boys; greetings, girls; bye-ee!"

But, as they say, whatever.

It is great fun to sing, and a useful training exercise for congregations as well as choirs - do it first as a four-part round and only then, if there enough voices, do the full 8-voice job.

So as not to breach the typographical copyright of the hymnal, I've reset the music and anglicised the transliterated Hebrew text, and I waive my typographical copyright, so print, copy, and sing away!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Favoured Blogs List

Followers