Translate

Search This Blog

Thursday 20 August 2009

Philosophy, Hypocrisy, and Public Libraries - II


You will remember DulcieDora, the junior library assistant (8th grade) employed by every public library in the land to weed the old boring bookstock when she is not not required for tea-making or Enid-Blyton-banning duties?

She has done me a great favour, and I really must stop making fun of the poor dear girl.

If you wanted to buy a first edition of Anthony Burgess's "A Vision of Battlements", even mildly shop- or reader-soiled, you would be talking £27-£250 (check going prices at http://www.abebooks.co.uk.) So much better, then, to purchase same at your local Public Library for 1op, as I did. It lacks a TP, of course, because the very people who fine you for writing in your library book have no qualms when it comes to destroying the integrity of said book by ripping it apart so as to sell it for 10p, No Questions Arsked, Know Wot I mean, Guv?

I must check the value of that Barbara Hepworth catalogue raisonné (illus. on fine rag papers) that Dulcie flogged me for 50p, now estimated (by me) to be worth £3,000 if I could only find a buyer.

Dulcie, dear, keep on weeding! When the brown substances hit the fan I will be there to defend you and the ignorance that is no fault of yours.

(And while you're about it, there's a book about John Dowland I would like to get my hands on. It disappeared from the shelves of Oldham Public Library in mysterious circumstances, and I must have missed it when it was sold off for probably15p or thereabouts. Dulcie, if you could put it my way it's worth a fiver to you, and the usual bag of chips, OK? And sod the council-tax payers. They don't know what's going on anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favoured Blogs List

Followers