Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday 2 June 2012

I do it my way


It's open season for prepositions in the newsrooms, it seems. Traffic reports on Radio Lancashire now suggest that we look to the roads, not at 'em. It could have been the sort of slip-up that anybody could make on air, I thought, until the lady said 'And now let's look to the trains.' Yes, indeed, let us look to the roads and the railways. They should certainly be treated with circumspection, being much in need of attention.

This was hard on the heels of an expert on something-or-other on Radio 3, a few minutes earlier. The 'coup de gras', he said, confusing his paté de foie with his grace. The 'blow of fat' ? I rather like it.

And there was me, thinking a 'coup de grace' was a lawnmower. You unlearn something every day when the wireless or the telly is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Favoured Blogs List

Followers