Translate

Search This Blog

Sunday 25 July 2010

search box added



I hope my reader notices that I've now added a Search facility to the blog, and, egad! - it worked instantly (in XP, anyway. Not in Windows 7, though. Buck up, chaps!)


Last night I remembered mentioning one Mary Jackson ages ago, and because I hadn't tagged her by name it took well over an hour of scrolling through Older Posts to find the one I wanted, with the link.


I do have trouble with all these new-fangled inventions like the electric telephone or moving pictures, because I was always a slow learner, even in infant school (they didn't let me move up to junior school until I was 23, and married).


But, dear reader - don't think the Search bar is for your benefit, 'cos it ain't.  It's for my one remaining brain cell, Horace.  He needs every bit of help he can get.


But back to the reason for adding the search bar - Mary Jackson.  She is an English writer of great wit and acumen who contributes to a learned literary journal, the New English Review -


http://www.newenglishreview.org/

(find her in the author archives button, pour yourself a large glass of something white and possibly Californian, settle back, and prepare to enjoy!)

and I say that Mary Jackson is an English writer because this particular New English Review is actually an American lustrous organ, emanating from Nashville, Tennessee, whence you don't expect emanations of this quality (revenge, Bill Bryson and Paul Theroux, is sweet!).


It seems that I've been unconsciously saving up Mary Jackson pieces for 14 months, and when I finally found the link again I had a wonderful wallow last night.


Mary Jackson weaves words like spells. She is also deliciously rude.  Her particular gift is to turn your life-held preconceptions and prejudices on their heads.  Read her on Samuel Becket or Jeanette Winterson, or on practically anyone or anything else that she turns her attention to, but be ready to get your grey cells all shook up.



2 comments:

  1. E R Lockart (Rev)21 August 2010 at 16:04

    Re: search box added

    Couldn't find it...

    from The Reverend Ebenezer R Lockart

    ReplyDelete
  2. T'rev -

    seems it works OK in XP, but not in
    Vista or 7. Oops.

    Mad Mags

    ReplyDelete

Favoured Blogs List

Followers